Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Khan Academy

Khan Academy logo



Khan Academy is very interesting. I have a unique take on this approach. My daughter's math teacher actually uses Khan Academy to supplement her instruction. From Amanda's (my daughter) perspective she is overwhelmed by the videos. She feels like she doesn't "get it". I think the reason for this is because it was just thrown out there to her. It wasn't explained or introduced properly. 

Amanda and I have talked at length about how she can use Khan Academy to help her with her Calculus. She is warming up to the idea, but only after I showed her how to more effectively utilize the site. It really frustrated me that she has access to this all year and I am just now hearing about it. Plus, she has not utilized it all year because she was unfamiliar with it. Really irritates me! 

So - I spoke with the teacher that told me she uses Khan to instruct the students that are struggling. She is able to send them to the site and it gives them a one-on-one type of instruction. She stated that many students have benefited from the additional assistance and it also frees up her class time for additional topics. I can understand using the site as a tool, but I feel it is more than just a tool. So I wanted to know more. Especially since I have an assignment to learn more. 

First, I saw this video from 60 Minutes. I think it was very insightful.  )

In Forbes Magazine I found that the academy was actually started by Sal Khan creating videos for his family that was struggling to learn. The idea to subsidize education with YouTube videos gave me a sense of déjà vu. Isn't this what we are currently doing? Isn't this how we are learning too? In Dr. Strange's classes we learn by watching others. We learn by watching videos on how to embed a video or how to add and alt tab to a photo. We watch videos on how to create a presentation and a website. Yes! We are utilizing the same measures that Khan utilized. We are learning technology so that we can utilize these same methods in our classrooms. 

There are many people that state that Khan Academy is just a return to rote learning from years gone by.  Some critics say that the academy is just a facade of high tech gadgets drilling material into a students head. These same critics state that students learn more by problem solving than by this type of instruction. The counterpoint to this argument is that some students need the repetitive nature of the videos. They need to stop and start and replay what they have just seen/heard. There are many different styles of learning and all students do not learn the same. While I can agree that rote learning isn't the only way of learning, it does have its place. Khan Academy is a great place to begin. 




1 comment:

  1. "...she has not utilized it all year because she was unfamiliar with it. Really irritates me! Sounds like my behavior. I declared Twitter useless - until I used it!

    It is interesting that most of those who object to the Academy actually fear it. They think their jobs are at risk!

    Thoughtful. Interesting. It is really nice to have an actual user's parent's perspective!

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete