Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Search Engines

I really thought that this was a silly blog post assignment - I should have known better! I was shocked to find all the different search engines. There were the obvious choices. I like some, but I mostly use Google. So, here is my  list and what I honestly think!

1. Bing! -- One word? HATE!!! I can't tell you why, but I hate it. It never seems to give me the right results; however I am comparing it to Google which I L-O-V-E! MSN is my homepage so sometimes I use Bing! if I am in a hurry, but normally I go to Google.

2. Ask -- is a blight on society! It gives you all these stupid "ads" in the search! I don't want to see an ad for Spanish; I want to see Spanish! Argh! I hate this one too -- and hate is NOT too strong of a word.

3. Dogpile -- this is kinda cool cause it has Google and Yahoo combined into one search engine (or so they say!). I have done a few searches and was surprised with my results. I liked it.

4. DuckDuckGo -- Okay, I really liked this one. My main reason for liking it is that it doesn't track you. Yep! A non-tracking search engine. I hate when a search engine "suggests" a page. I want to scream, "Is that what I asked for? NO!" So this supposedly is anonymous... supposedly.

5. IxQuick -- This is another anonymous search engine. This engine is supposed to combine ten of the best search engines. It claims to be "The world's most private search engine". I take issue with the whole private thing. (Can you tell?) I don't think anything is private. Once you do a search your IP address is connected to that search.

6. Yandex -- This engine offers the ability to search in other languages. This confounds me a bit. Can't you do this with any search engine? I am dumbfounded -- but I like the name!

WolframAlpha? What the heck? Okay, so I can see how this would be helpful to math students. It is something that I would definitely suggest to my students (even though I am an English teacher!). I think giving students cross-curricular information is helpful.

So --- something you didn't ask for! I love all the graphics for these sites. My favorite is Dogpile!



2 comments:

  1. Silly? Glad you were surprised. WA also is good for historians. Try it that way.

    You are correct - real privacy no longer exists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gina,

    I didn't know Dogpile was a combination of Google and Yahoo. Interesting. I know what you mean about Ask. I haven't ever had a successful search experience using that engine. I typically use Google as well, and with good results.

    So, now that you've completed this assignment, do you think you'll vary your routine and stray from Google?

    Mary Alice Pouliot.

    ReplyDelete