Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Asking Questions

I have found that questions are very important. I am not talking about the questions my students ask me but the questions that I ask my students. Just asking a student, "Did you like that story?" is not acceptable. You have to ask pointed questions that will initiate and drive discussion.

I am remembering a moment last year when I was teaching Diary of Anne Frank. I asked students to name something about each character. I proceeded to pull characters out of a bucket. I would ask for volunteers to tell me something about the character. I had some IEP students in the class and I really wanted them to participate. So I told them there is no "wrong" answer. Just tell me what they think. Many students told me things from the storyline about the characters. What was really great was when one of my IEP students said, "I think she likes apple pie". When I asked why. He told me that she seemed to be interested in baking so she has to like apple pie. No one laughed and I acknowledged that she very well may have liked apple pie - we just don't know. This was the beginning for this student. He then felt comfortable answering questions.

We talked about WWII and the impact it had on our country. This same IEP student proceeded to tell us all about WWII planes. I had asked the class to tell me one thing they knew about WWII. He was so full of knowledge. It was amazing.

I say all of this to make one thing very clear - it is not always about what you ask. It can be about your reaction to their answer. I want my class to feel "safe" in my room. I want them to know that I value their thoughts. Now this doesn't mean that they will not go on a tangent discussing some obscure point that normally included food or football! I can always redirect their thoughts.

Questions are very important - just be prepared for answers. Any answer. Know how to redirect and re-ask a question. Know your class and what they like. That way you can ask questions that you know they can answer and then lead them into the way you wish them to be thinking. Good questions will insure that you are not lecturing your students, but that you are guiding them or coaching them to learn. I do not want my students to regurgitate my knowledge. I like to know what they know and think.

Once you get a student to analyze their thoughts, then they are invested in what they are learning. Once they invest themselves then they will not only learn - they will retain!


3 comments:

  1. Do you like apple pie? Good story!

    Very good advice for your fellow teachers.

    Very well done. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina! You did a good job on your post. I love that you include your experience. The part about discussions always going to food and football made me laugh! I agree that students have to know that you value their opinion in order to reach them. Thanks for your teaching advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Strange - I do indeed enjoy apple pie! I also will never, ever forget the lesson this student taught me.

    Sarah - Thanks so much. Students will go on a tangent and you have to be able to redirect without showing them that they had to be redirected... It is a fine line that I still struggle with!

    ReplyDelete