Sunday, April 20, 2014

Blog Assignment #9

I love the talks at TED conferences. I especially enjoyed Brian Crosby's talk. Feel free to click the link and go view the video. The video is a little over 17 minutes long - but I can promise you the time flies really quick! There were several other videos that I watched too -- but I really enjoyed Mr. Crosby's the most.

Mr. Crosby teaches a different type of class. He starts with the students in the 4th grade and he retains these same students until they are in the 6th grade. Most of his students are "at risk" students so I think this works well. I really like the set up and I think it would be a useful tool. Especially in middle school years. Being able to teach the same set of students would give the teacher invaluable insight into the students abilities and their life. The teacher would be able to see the student grow in knowledge and socially. The teacher would truly know the student. 

I was extraordinarily impressed with Mr. Crosby's ability to incorporate a lot of other disciplines in his science experiments. I am an English teacher. I struggle with getting the students to understand the importance of reading and writing. I could easily collaborate with a science teacher to make this project very engaging for the students. The student learns so much more by doing and searching for himself than by me telling him what to do. Teachers today need to learn how to make learning fun for kids. We need to learn how to make it exciting and entertaining. They still have to be focused and on task. They still have to meet the standards - but they will never know they are learning. They think they are having fun. 

I am sure that teaching in this fashion is not easy. I am sure that it takes a whole lot of planning and preparation. In the end what we would have is a whole lot of students that know how to be - that know who they are - that know where they are - that know they are important. It makes me emotional just wanting that for my students. Wanting them to know they are important. I want for my students. I wish my students would want for themselves... 



4 comments:

  1. Great summary post on his video. I could feel the emotion in your words. You seem so sincere in what you are saying! And I totally agree with your last statement, "wishing my students would want for themselves."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Chamberlain turned me on to Brian Crosby. You may have encountered this assignment before. I have forgotten when I added it to EDM310.

    And I would add my agreement to Lynn's comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the other parts of the assignment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I focused on Mr. Crosby. I felt that all the videos were about the same concept of getting students to believe in themselves and their abilities. Mr. Crosby seemed to epitomize what all the other teachers were saying. If I need to amend the post - I will. Please let me know.

      Delete