Thursday, April 10, 2014

Blog Post #7 Learning and Communication Tools

I am running a little behind from this last week.(YIKES!) This is new territory for me - being behind! I have taken some time off from work to complete the assignments and get caught up! So grateful for an understanding boss (myself!). 


This week we are supposed to research some tools that will assist us in learning and communicating.  I found this to be very time consuming and I really was unsure of what I was supposed to be doing; however I am jumping right in - full steam ahead.

The first website I ran across was Desire to Learn. Desire to Learn reminded me somewhat of Khan Academy. Here is a video to give a generalized overview.

I really think this could be a great tool. Some of the things that I struggled with looking into this program is the cost. I made several attempts over the course of several days to get in touch with someone in sales support. I left many voice-mails and none of my calls were returned. They do include a 30-day free trial. This is what leads me to believe there is a cost involved!

From what I learned this site could be a great tool for teachers and even school systems. Especially with the Mobile County's BYOD program. I hope that you will take a moment to look at this program. It is very interesting to me and I am enjoying searching through the site.

Another site that I noticed was Edublogs. I was actually looking for a way to get my students blogging in a more private manner so that parents and administrators would be more comfortable with the exposure. Edublogs is the answer - I believe. Check it out!

I absolutely love this next site -- Padlet! I guess I had not thought that there would be other tools than just the ones I had been exposed to in my classes. I was actually searching Prezi and came across a Prezi that included this site (Oh --- I should probably include Prezi in this but I am just going to link it!) I like Padlet a lot. It is an easy blog and it can be added to a webpage or a blog. It is also interactive. So fun!

Now -- GO! Check out all the new stuff and tell me what you think! I really enjoyed learning about these tools. I hope you do too!


2 comments:

  1. DesireToLearn is probably sold only to School Systems. It is probably a learning management system like Moodle or Blackboard or Sakai. Well, maybe not. It appears it could also include personalized modules. But i bet it is costly!

    Edublogs is a valuable resource that I use a lot. And pad lets is one of Anthony's favorite tools. I use it also when my classes meet in person.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am really interested in Padlets. I like it. I still have not heard from DesireToLearn. I have left a couple of messages this week. It is really frustrating. I would like to use it - but I don't want to begin a 30 day trial if I am not sure of what happens after the 30 days.

      Delete